4D Molecular Therapeutics, located in Emeryville, CA is a global leader in gene therapy product research & development using scientific innovation to unlock the full potential of gene therapy for patients with genetic diseases. At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, our goal is to design and develop transformative gene therapy products using our proprietary adeno-associated virus variants platform to treat serious unmet medical conditions. 4D is in need of a talented and motivated Scientist/Senior Scientist to join our team in supporting our viral drug therapy research efforts as we contribute to the future of gene therapeutics.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Demonstrating innovative design, development, and execution of research projects through literature review, expertise, and scientific teamwork
- Designing and constructing novel AAV vectors for in vitro analysis and proof-of-concept animal studies
- Contributing to the design, implements, and interprets the results of experimental studies
- Contributing to the design, optimization, verification, and execution of current and new assays
- Writing study reports and manuscripts and presenting results at appropriate scientific meetings
- Maintaining compliance to company Environmental Health and Safety policies, procedures, and practices
- Performing hands-on research in company’s lab to move scientific projects forward
- Effectively mentoring junior level staff and acting as a resource for providing scientific expertise
- Contributing to building a culture that embraces continuous learning, improvement and innovation and encourages team members to expand their technical skill base and deepen their gene therapy expertise.
- Utilizing appropriate scientific approaches to understand characteristics of adeno-associated virus variants to drive decisions and assess potential application of company’s lead adeno-associated virus vectors and products
- Maintaining a current awareness and contributes to current scientific literature; actively applies new concepts and technologies as appropriate
- Leading and supporting research initiatives such as new technology development and platform improvement projects
- Leveraging strong understanding of gene therapy principles to design, assess and interpret experimental data, then uses the resulting information to inform selection of the optimal vector delivery strategy
- Designing and implementing appropriate adeno-associated virus variants based experiments to help predict the in vivo bio-performance of potential gene therapies
- Ph.D. degree and at least two years of post-doctoral experience in one of the following disciplines: Bioengineering, Virology, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry or a related field
- Knowledge and working experience in viral gene therapy vector and/or product pre-clinical research and development (adeno associated viral vectors preferred)
- Background in protein and/or viral engineering preferred
- Solid proficiency in molecular biology and protein chemistry techniques such as molecular cloning, PCR, RT-PCR, mammalian cell culture, immunoblot, plasmid transfection, ELISA, and immunocytochemistry/immunohistochemistry procedures.
- Successfully demonstrated ability to work independently in designing, developing, and executing new assay methods
- Successful demonstrated ability to rigorously analyze and interpret data
- Ability to multi-task and support more than one project simultaneously
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team based environment; supportive of multiple viewpoints and approaches
- Understanding and knowledge of key scientific software programs (including Microsoft Office, JMP or Prism, and Adobe Photoshop)
- Strong organizational skills, analytical skills, and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral) with demonstrated ability to present ideas, information and data effectively via one on one discussions, team meetings, and external partnership interactions
Qualified candidates may submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.