Our Company & The Opportunity
We seek an experienced, innovative and driven Director/Senior Director, Alliance Management. The position is based in Emeryville, California and will report to 4D’s Chief Operating Officer.
4D Molecular Therapeutics (4DMT), located in Emeryville, CA, is a global leader in gene therapy product research and development using scientific innovation to unlock the full potential of gene therapy for patients with genetic diseases. At 4DMT, our goal is to design and develop transformative gene therapy products using our proprietary adeno-associated virus (AAV) variants platform to treat serious unmet medical conditions.
We believe in success through collaboration. We have forged strategic relationships with multiple large pharma and gene therapy companies that bring complementary capabilities and resources with the goal of introducing potentially life-saving therapies to the market more efficiently. Through collaborations we can extend our reach beyond our 4DMT internal pipeline to additional disease indications. We also collaborate with academic institutions to in-license innovative technologies and with patient advocacy foundations to incorporate the perspective of patients and their caregivers and to gain disease-specific clinical and regulatory knowledge as well as access to a network of doctors and trial investigators.
As an experienced, innovative and driven Director/Senior Director, Alliance Management, you will be the primary point of contact for these valuable alliances. You will be responsible for managing and optimizing the value of 4DMT’s strategic alliances at all stages of the product life cycle and in multiple therapeutic areas. In addition, your knowledge of the drug development process, excellent communication and analytical skills, and ability to manage multiple, diverse projects and priorities in a team-oriented environment, will be critical to your success.
- Manage a portfolio of industry and academic partnerships to achieve defined strategic and operational goals within agreed alliance framework.
- Establish and facilitate governance with partners, including formal committees, communication channels, decision-making processes, and records management. Generate governance and project team meeting agendas, coordinate meeting preparation and compilation of materials, generate meeting minutes, action and decision logs, as applicable.
- Educate and guide leadership and internal project teams with respect to opportunities and constraints arising from the collaboration.
- Monitor and track compliance with financial and non-financial obligations, such as milestones and royalties, IP, publications, and diligence efforts.
- Work closely with Finance & Accounting to track research activities as it relates to partnership revenue recognition (familiarity and/or experience tracking activities under ASC 605 and/or 606 reporting requirements a plus).
- Understand all aspects of Contract and Licensing Agreements (CLA’s) with partners as well as monitor any in-licensing agreements. Proactively address issues and mitigate risks arising from contractual complications and serve as 4D’s internal expert on partner contracts and companies, identifying opportunities for increased efficiency and effectiveness.
- Write and ensure timely submission of required progress reports to collaborators; ensure timely submission of collaborator reports to 4DMT.
- Support business development on strategic discussions and contract negotiations for new alliance agreements.
- Partner with legal and functional leads to execute ancillary agreements and amendments to address operational processes or renegotiated business terms.
- Work closely with external partners, and internally with 4D’s head of intellectual property, public relations and program management teams, and others to maintain current knowledge of activities and external communications, etc.
- Conduct periodic “health” assessments with internal and external stakeholders and regularly implement feedback to enhance alliance effectiveness and efficiency.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; MS/MBA, PhD, JD with preference for advanced degree in Life Sciences or Business.
- 10+ years of experience in the life sciences or pharmaceutical industry, with 5+ years of experience in Alliance Management, Partnering, and/or Business Development involving direct interactions with external partners.
- Significant knowledge of drug development process and applicable science, especially in research through early development stages.
- Experience with agreements, legal contracts and alliance governance.
- Strong collaborator with demonstrated ability to influence key stakeholders and build consensus.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced, cross-functional team environment.
- Some travel (including international) – up to app. 15% will be required.
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter and cv to email@example.com.