We seek an experienced, innovative and driven Director/Senior Director, Alliance Management. The position is based in Emeryville, California and will report to 4D’s Chief Operating Officer.
4D Molecular Therapeutics (4DMT), located in Emeryville, CA, is a global leader in gene therapy product research and development using scientific innovation to unlock the full potential of gene therapy for patients with genetic diseases. At 4DMT, our goal is to design and develop transformative gene therapy products using our proprietary adeno-associated virus (AAV) variants platform to treat serious unmet medical conditions.
We believe in success through collaboration. We have forged strategic relationships with multiple large pharma and gene therapy companies that bring complementary capabilities and resources with the goal of introducing potentially life-saving therapies to the market more efficiently. Through collaborations, we can extend our reach beyond our 4DMT internal pipeline to additional disease indications. We also collaborate with academic institutions to in-license innovative technologies and with patient advocacy foundations to incorporate the perspective of patients and their caregivers and to gain disease-specific clinical and regulatory knowledge as well as access to a network of doctors and trial investigators.
As an experienced, innovative and driven Director/Senior Director, Alliance Management, you will be the primary point of contact for these valuable alliances. You will be responsible for managing and optimizing the value of 4DMT’s strategic alliances at all stages of the product life cycle and in multiple therapeutic areas. In addition, your knowledge of the drug development process, excellent communication and analytical skills, and ability to manage multiple, diverse projects and priorities in a team-oriented environment, will be critical to your success.
- Manage a portfolio of alliances, working closely with partners and cross-functionally with internal colleagues to manage responsibilities, mitigate risks, and ensure alliance objectives are achieved. Run alliance management group meetings to review alliances, share best practices, and improve 4D partner management capabilities. Support development and maintenance of alliance management processes that improve the operating efficiency of both the group and the Company.
- Coordinate governance and implement associated committees to enable effective decision-making, communications, and issue resolution with the partner. Organize and run Joint Steering Committee meetings and Joint Project Team meetings including note taking, action and decision logs, and progress updates.
- Network with internal functional team members (such as Research, Clinical Development, Regulatory, Process Development, Finance, Legal, Intellectual Property) to educate colleagues on key aspects of each partnership and develop a “partner mindset.”
- Develop a deep understanding of contractual agreements and summarize, track, and manage reporting of obligations. Serve as 4D’s internal expert on partner contracts and companies and identify opportunities for increased efficiency and effectiveness.
- Understand all aspects of Contract and Licensing Agreements (CLA’s) with partners as well as monitor any in-licensing agreements and ensure all company obligations are met. Write and submit required progress reports to collaborators; ensure timely submission of collaborator reports to 4DMT.
- Oversee alliance financial responsibilities, including tracking of milestones and communications of necessary financial information.
- Represent alliances and associated activities on internal project teams and working groups
- Regularly inform executive management team, Joint Steering Committee members, Project Leaders and Program Managers of partnership progress, accomplishments, issues and upcoming contractual obligations.
- Work closely on an ongoing basis externally with partners, and internally with 4DMT’s head of intellectual property, public relations team, program management team, and other relevant functions to maintain current knowledge of activities and external communications (e.g., press releases, patent filings, publications, presentation submissions); ensure applicable 4DMT and partner review and that approval timelines are met.
- Actively participate in the drafting and review of ancillary agreements as needed, including letter agreements, contract amendments and correspondence – with manager’s direction.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; MBA, PhD, JD or other advanced degrees in Life Sciences or Business is a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years industry experience, including at least four years specific alliance management, business development and/or project management experience within biotech or pharmaceuticals.
- Ability to operate in a dynamic, cross-functional team environment, and respond flexibly to changing priorities and diverse project requirements.
- Sophisticated relationship management experience and skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated diplomacy and negotiation capabilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Some travel (including international) – up to app. 15% will be required.
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter and cv to email@example.com.