4D Molecular Therapeutics, located in Emeryville, CA is a global leader in gene therapy product research & development using scientific innovation to unlock the full potential of gene therapy for patients with genetic diseases. At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, our goal is to design and develop transformative gene therapy products using our proprietary adeno-associated virus variants platform to treat serious unmet medical conditions. 4D is in need of a talented and motivated Associate Director/Director to join our team in supporting our viral drug therapy research efforts as we contribute to the future of gene therapeutics.
The generation of novel AAV vectors is exciting, and it makes for a very interesting challenge, to advance our knowledge of these brand new vectors. You will have the opportunity to develop and implement both protein- and DNA-based assays for AAV products. You get to work on cutting edge science (with opportunities to present and publish) and to make important contributions to IND filings for novel therapeutics that will enable 4D to advance our therapeutic products into patients.
- Designing and managing cell-based experiments to determine tropism, mechanism of transduction, and other characteristics of novel AAV vectors
- Designing and managing non-GLP preclinical studies; analyzing and/or confirming data related to non-GLP preclinical studies to determine characteristics of novel AAV vectors
- Managing preclinical CRO activities
- Writing and editing preclinical study reports and preclinical sections in support of regulatory submissions
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams (including CMC, human cell and disease modeling, and translational medicine) to ensure that studies are performed in a quality, timely, and scientific manner
- Contributing to the management of design, optimization, verification, and execution of current and new assays
- Demonstrating innovative design, development, and execution of research projects through literature review, expertise, and scientific teamwork
- Maintaining a current understanding of preclinical and clinical gene therapy literature and methodologies; actively applying new concepts and technologies as appropriate
- Maintaining compliance to company Environmental Health and Safety policies, procedures, and practices
- Effectively mentoring junior level staff and acting as a resource for providing scientific expertise
- Contributing to building a culture that embraces continuous learning, improvement and innovation and encourages team members to expand their technical skill base and deepen their gene therapy expertise.
- Utilizing appropriate scientific approaches to understand characteristics of adeno-associated virus variants to drive decisions and assess potential application of company’s lead adeno-associated virus vectors and products
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ph.D. degree and at least two years of post-doctoral experience in one of the following disciplines: Bioengineering, Virology, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry or a related field; D.V.M. or M.D. also acceptable
- Knowledge and 3-5 years working experience in preclinical research and development (adeno-associated viral vectors preferred)
- Solid understanding of molecular biology and protein chemistry techniques such as qPCR, qRT-PCR, mammalian cell culture, immunoblot, viral transduction, ELISA, and immunocytochemistry/immunohistochemistry procedures.
- Proven experience in design, coordination, analysis, and documentation of preclinical studies
- Successful demonstration of ability to work independently in designing and developing executing new protocols
- Successful demonstration of ability to rigorously analyze and interpret diverse, multidisciplinary data sets
- Ability to multi-task and support more than one project simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team-based environment; supportive of multiple viewpoints and approaches
- Understanding and knowledge of key scientific software programs (including Microsoft Office, JMP or Prism, and Adobe Photoshop)
- Strong organizational skills, analytical skills, and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral) with demonstrated ability to present ideas, information and data effectively via one on one discussions, team meetings, and external partnership interactions
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.